Wednesday, November 14, 2007

if A = B, and B = C, than A = C

I think that's how the concept works? I'm awful at math and all things universally logical.

Anyways, I just thought a little about what my classes are like here, and what my writing workshop looks like. What we do -- we 11-12 fiction writers in the program -- is give our pass out stories and critique one another's work. A professor/mentoring writer facilitates our discussions and teaches the workshop each semester. One of my favorites is a man who is a little Danny Devito shaped. He's as short as I am, and he's quite stubby looking.

And for a writer, I realized that he really could not improvise his work choices. I had him last semester as a teacher and found this little quirk about him ironic considering that he has to work with words. In anycase, this poor ability of his to wisely talk on the spot can make him come off significantly more abrassive than he really means to be. So what you're left with is this guy teaching our class, and in the middle of discussion make a comment that sounds awkwardly sexist. It would be even worst when he was critiquing our works. He was quite the pusher -- which is a good thing -- but he'll often sound much more offensive than what was intended.

Once he said, regarding someone's new story: "Good writers don't do this," refering to a specific passage that had challenges with dialogue or syntax or something nerdy like that. The implication of his statement made the student cry. It said that if this student wrote this piece of writing, and this piece of writing doesn't come from good writier, than student = shit ass artist.

That's a little bit about what my shark tank can look like sometimes. And I love it! Devito is one of my favorite professors here. Hurts so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home