Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I saw the "after" scene of a drive-by shooting today

On my way back from the gym this afternoon I stopped by Ross in the hopes of finding a pair of Dr. Marten's boots. (Ross, I am now completely sure, is the biggest freakshow -- it attracts a lot of people that have no problems with diving through the racks like animals and leaving the discarded refuse where they fall, with or without hangers.)

Anyways, on Ellis, after clearing the busy commercial street of Powell I saw cop cars boxing the end of the block at Mason. There was yellow tape around the cop cars and along the perimeter were lots of rubberneckers. Families, tourists, kids with their eye-balling parents. The CSI scene was complimented with a gray sedan on the side of the blocked off street. Its windows were shattered all over the pavement. There were bullet holes punched into its doors which the cops were measuring.

There was also blood on the pavement. I slowed down enough to see that.

The gawkers were leaning over the yellow police tape with their camcorders and digi-cams out. And they were documenting this: a crime sight that obviously involved the dramatic injury of at least one human being.

I wanted to say something snide to these people. Something like, "Very classy, taking pictures like that!" But I didn't because part of me slowed down to be entertained by the spectacle too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home