Thursday, November 09, 2006

Swept Away is playing on VH1 as I type this

Yesterday was my friend Chad's birthday, and we celebrated at a Bloomington staple: this brewery that has the only beer I whole-hearted love, Upland.

Before that, I went to the Asian Cultural Center to sit in on a talk panel about Trans-racial/Trans-national adoption. I've always had mixed feelings about this topic Afterall, I (along with everyone who I've ever talked to about this) have never seen a single Asian American adoptee that was... oh dear, this is so insensitive to say, but... we have never seen a single SANE Asian American adoptee. Particularly the Korean ones. In the words of a friend of mine, who shall remain nameless (but let me assure you, the surname is Kim): "God, all [Korean adoptees] are fucked up."

I watched the panel of mothers talk about their experiences adopting and raising children from China, and the PI. And to be honest, I'm having trouble processing all the info. So, I better stop now and let it ferment for a little bit. (More on this another time.)

This weekend I will be going to the Indianapolis Queer Film Fest, which looks to be interesting with RuPaul in the musical Zombie Prom. I saw a documentary about Zombies during Halloween week (did I mention that?)

There's not much to report except one good news: I won IU's nomination to the Association of Writers & Writing Program's Intro Award for fiction. It is for the latest draft of my story "Forgetful" -- a piece about a guy who experiences being a Fob in reverse chronological order (in other words, instead of being a Fob who becomes "American," he grows up in America only to suddenly lose his ability to speak English). The story was selected by a judge outside the university: Michael Martone, who is a dazzling and hilarious writer, and I am grateful and honored he chose my story.

So, now IU is sending my story to compete at the national level with the AWP, where I will get my ass kicked and not win the possible publication in some literary journal, and where I will get my ass kicked and not win that money (which is $50, mind you). Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home